Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy #114: Decide from the truth of your heart.



January 1st of a new year is a good time to make up your mind.

In my experience, it doesn't take time to change. It just takes time to decide to change. Change can happen overnight, once we've decided. Really decided.

The book of James (King James Version of the Bible) is packed with little goodies. Packed. If it's been awhile since you've taken the time, it's well worth the read start to finish. 

Being very familiar with first chapter, I was surprised one day when a word (and the verses that followed) jumped out at me as if I'd never considered it (and them) before.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways." James 1: 5-8

Wavereth. 

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines waver this way:

1. to vacillate irresolutely between choices : fluctuate in opinion, allegiance, or direction.
2. to weave or sway unsteadily to and fro (reel, totter) : to hesitate as if about to give way (falter).

The idea that a wavering man (or woman) should not expect to receive any thing of the Lord shocked me. Until I stopped to think about it. Then it made perfect sense.

God delivers us to our choices. Or lack thereof...

I've learned that the clearer I am with what I want, the more focused I am. And the more focused I am, the more likely I am to direct myself in ways that help me to realize what I'm striving for. I'm also far more likely to receive support in this place as well. 

It's been remarkable to me, in watching my life unfold, to see miracles abound in support of the choices I've made once a decision (that's right and in harmony with the truth of my heart) is determined. Flat out, honest to goodness miracles. Over and over and over again... 

When I reflect on the times in my life when I have been and/or felt confused, it was because I was trying to accommodate others instead of being true to myself. The clearer I became with the truth of my heart, the clearer the necessary decision became. Not that those decisions were easy to follow through on, by any means. But self truth has a way of illuminating everything. The requisite path of action, in particular.

So Happy #114 is this: Decide from the truth of your heart. Doing comes pretty naturally after that.

Give that a spin with your New Year's resolutions this time. :D You're bound to see real change.

And Happy New Year. May all your hopes and dreams be realized. 

Once you've made up your mind... ;-)

Warmly and with love,
Kathleen


1 comment:

  1. Amen. Not to decide is to decide. Excellent, as always.
    Peg

    ReplyDelete