Thursday, January 20, 2011

Happy #84: Push through the fear.


The I.R.S.

Scary, right? (Unless you're one of those structure people who LOVES paperwork and keeping impeccable track of things. In which case, you probably don't read my blog and/or should stop reading now because you will only end up shaking your head at my humanness...)

If I could make the text for the IRS really big right here, give it a wild font, and make it pulse all by itself on the computer screen, I would do it. The IRS seems to have a life of it's own and makes nearly everybody nervous. (Except, of course, for you structure types. And you're not supposed to be reading anymore anyway.)

I did something today that was on my freak out list. (It's #2 on my "change my life" game plan: do one thing, every day, that makes me want to run and hide.)

I called the IRS.

And I want to share this. Because pushing through my fear and making the call gave me a surprising return.

I'm not proud of how horrible I am with paperwork. It's my greatest weakness. So it was no surprise to me when I called the IRS, to find out that I was not one year behind in filing my returns, I was FOUR years behind. Don't judge me.

Pick your chin up off the floor and take back whatever unmentionables you just thought and/or exclaimed about my negligence. I guarantee you I beat myself up enough for all of us. And I assure you, I used to be REALLY good at getting my returns in. On time. Like clock work.

But that was then.

It wasn't purposeful. My (out-of-state) accountant, a back and forth with paperwork, my negligence in signing things and returning them in the mail, trying to finish a master's degree, take care of my home and family as a single parent, traveling back and forth to WA trying to get a business going (not to mention a boat load of other things/events/details I won't bore you with here...), and some things fall through the cracks. It just happens.

However, your tax returns should NOT be one of those things. So you can understand why, when I finally called the IRS to check-in, I was stunned and terrified when Mr. Green broke the news.

I had given the truth to Mr. Green. I didn't make any excuses. I simply offered my desire to fix the problem.

Shuddering at the possible consequences and the thought of the DAYS, maybe even weeks it would take to gather my documentation, contact my mortgage company, etc., etc., etc., I explained I would need time to complete my filing.

Then something wonderful happened. A miracle, really.

Trying to get a word in edgewise, Mr. Green explained they had everything on record. He said he would put an envelope (I'm picturing a large envelope here...) together with all of my paperwork and send it off in a nice little package. He shared with me I'd be able to take the entire packet to my accountant, provide a little bit of further information and the returns could be filed. Just like that.

If I could have jumped through the phone to kiss Mr. Green, I would have. I was so relieved. I exclaimed, "You are MY HERO!" (those are words that should sparkle on the screen), and I shared with him how very happy I was with how much he had helped me.

With a smile in his voice he said, "Well, I guess you can imagine we don't hear that very often around here." : )

In these moments I was reminded that when we push through the fear and do the things we have difficulty getting around to, the people on the other side of what we need to take care of typically step up to help us. Think of them as your friends on the other end of the phone.

Push through the fear. People are on your side.

Life is supportive.

And Mr. Green, with the IRS, ; ) you truly were my hero today. Thank you for helping me so kindly and for making the dreadful situation I found myself in seem manageable and hopeful.

Here's to you. :D

And here's to all of us imperfect people trying to be better by degrees, one day at a time. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment