Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy #54: Simply serve.


Ok. I know I've said this in a number of ways as it relates to happiness. But today's experience newly defines service for me as one of the key ingredients to a life fulfilled.

I've been praying for crisper focus in the use of my time. Last night one word came to mind. Just one word. Serve.

Serve? WHAT?!? Like I don't? And how do I fit more service into a life already full of responsibility to family, home, work, education, and yes, SERVICE?!?!?

I was stunned. But truthfully, even in my deer in the headlights state, I don't think I've ever heard it so clearly and felt it so simply as I did last night. And I need to be honest here. It felt a bit overwhelming. I even thought for minute about being offended. I did. Since, you know, I serve...

However, tempted as I was, I didn't take offense. Instead, I went to sleep thinking of ways to fit more service in. And all that that would mean. Since more must mean more, right?

But more isn't always more. Sometimes more is actually less. It's just more deliberate. Purposeful. Mindful.

This morning something came to me as I was proceeding with my day. It was this: Serve from who you are.

I was running a work errand and happened upon the delightful little package of cookies in the photo above. They were so charming! I immediately began to think of someone I could give them to. Naturally, a suitable recipient popped to mind. So I bought them with plans to deliver them later today.

As I proceeded to make the purchase, I thought about service and about words I've heard a lot lately, "How can I help you?" I thought about how difficult that question is to answer. I always want help. And quite frequently need help. But I have a TERRIBLE time asking. And an even more difficult time drumming up a response when there is a well meaning offer.

When someone asks me how they can help me (or worse says, "Let me know if there's anything I can do for you!"), I feel uncomfortable, awkward, and a little bit embarrassed. Why? Because I should be able to manage my life all by myself.

But I can't. And heads up? Neither can you.

We all need help. We do. And we can uplift and help each other in so many, many ways. In as many ways as there are people on this planet, really.

Think of the good we could do in small and simple ways if we would just serve from who we are, in the ways that come to our minds to serve? In the ways that are natural for us? If we would just simply serve?

Because then, like with me buying those adorable cookies and feeling pure delight in doing it, ways of serving are natural. And serving "more" becomes natural too. There is ease. It just fits into the crevices of life. Like ice cream after a delicious dinner.

You may not see those cookies and think to give them away. Because that may not be you. But something about you and what comes naturally for you can benefit and uplift another human heart.

So, simply serve. In your way. Whomever and in whatever way comes to mind for you.

You will love how it makes you feel. And the one you serve will love it too.

There is happiness here, in serving, in giving and receiving love.

Give giving of yourself a whirl. :)

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet, Kathleen. And, since you mentioned it, I'd add the importance of having the humility to accept help. I don't like asking for help or getting help, either. But, if someone is asking, they deserve the opportunity to serve. It's important we not reject help that may be offered by divine inspiration, and that we not prevent others from acquiring the blessings from such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! How about serving me a little and telling where you got those ADORABLE cookies? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Surprisingly... Wal-mart. $4.00. My first time in there in MONTHS.

    And thank you Austin. Excellent reminder.

    Love you both! :)

    ReplyDelete