Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy #55: Know what you love.




If you have any hope of getting what you need from those around you, you have to know yourself, know what you want or need, and be able to clearly communicate those needs to your loved ones.

That said, there was a time in my life when I couldn't get what I needed, regardless of how clear I was. My (then) mother-in-law taught me a very valuable lesson at the time that is well worth sharing. She said, "Kathleen, when you can't get what you need from the people who should be giving it to you, you need to go and get it for yourself. Make your own happiness. Don't wait for others to make it for you, or you'll be disappointed for the rest of your life." Joyce was wise. I'm so happy we're still friends--regardless of the outcome of my marriage to her son.

Life is different for me now than it was then. I can get what I need now. My children know I love flowers and help in the garden. So that's what they gave me this year in honor of the day. (Don't hate me because my daughter is an off the charts talented floral designer...) Yesterday they painted the garage. And now they're downstairs in the kitchen, working together seamlessly to prepare a wonderful meal. I am so grateful for them all. They are amazing. And the greatest gifts of my life.

Anyway, I wanted to share some of my Mother's day with you.

Why? Because the fact that I can get what I want and need from the people in my life (when this wasn't always the case), gives me hope that others can too.

Happy Mother's Day.



Kelsie, the creator of these spectacular floral displays, at the end of Mother's Day. Getting what she needs... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment