Monday, October 18, 2010

Happy #70: Find someone to serve.

I write on my walls. At one point I used Post-it notes. But eventually they fall down. So I just flat out write on the walls now. One of the things I have had up in writing around my house over the years is Serve Every Day and Serve Daily. You get my point.

Lately, I've been giving this particular focus and some purely magical things have been happening.

Happy #68 was about making plans. This post is about making plans to serve and the pure joy that can follow.

I planned to take my son Keaton to San Diego to visit Sea World. It's been awhile, it was his birthday, and he loves Sea World. I didn't plan on my friend Jane (who lives in San Diego) having a celebration party.

But life (happening as it does while we're making other plans), brought some wonderful experiences into our world. And because I was looking for ways to serve, very memorable things happened.

Keaton and I went to Sea World and had the best time together. It was wonderful! He made me reach into the water of the ray tank and touch them as they swam by. "You have to, Mom, for the experience," he said. "You know, participate." He's been listening. And what a joyful experience it was. : )

Jane was having her party the following night. I'm always a little awkward at parties, so I avoid them. (This probably surprises most of you.) In trying to say yes to life a little more often, I didn't avoid this one.

I had the thought that it would be nice for Jane to have a photographic book to remember the party by. (Mac has a wonderful publishing program I'm experimenting with.) So I took a few (Ok, 750) pictures.

This is Keaton playing the bongo drums for the first time in his experience on this planet. He was horribly offbeat, but Jane's guests loved him. And the party would not have been nearly as entertaining without Keaton. His choice to participate in this way was such a delightful surprise.

These are a couple of the new friends I made. (My friend Jane, our hostess, is in the background.) I wouldn't have missed meeting and getting to know them for anything.

This Mike and Kathleen, a couple who found each other later in life after other relationships ended. They have been together for six years, are madly in love, and one of most adorable couples I've ever met. They are darling and they gave me fresh hope for finding love when you think you never will.



These are the cupcakes a bakery chef brought to the party. And oh, my, word. Wow. Were they delicious. Wouldn't have missed those either. Seriously probably the best cupcakes I've ever eaten in my life. And I've eaten a lot of cupcakes. Including the 8 or 9 I ate at the party. ; )

Carla, the pastry chef. A very loving and giving woman.

Keaton and I. : )

These experiences happened because in trying to create a life that is meaningful and uplifting to those around me, I stepped outside my comfort zone and found ways to serve. In the process, I was uplifted and my life was blessed with meaning.

Funny how that works.

So Happy #70 is simply this: Find someone to serve.

It's one of my basics. And it always works.

Here's to a happy you! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment