Monday, March 8, 2010

Happy #30: Make choices that won't result in flashing lights.


There aren't many people who could see this image and not feel some sort of panic, even if mildly.

This warm and sunny afternoon, a woman came out of Smith's Marketplace and began putting her groceries in the back seat of her car when she was surrounded by three police cars. An officer stepped out of his vehicle and approached her.

She had gone shopping, leaving her two small children alone in the car for well over 1/2 hour.

Mistake of choice? She left her little ones unattended.
What she didn't anticipate? Kelsie and I pulling into the stall beside her.

I'm sure it wasn't the brightest spot in her day, having those police show up like that. But it wasn't the brightest spot in my day either, seeing those children unattended in the parking lot where tragedy could strike. Which is why I called the police. And stayed there with the kids until their mother (and the police) arrived.

The policeman was kind. He asked why she felt the need to leave her children alone. Then he informed her of the dangers in the area, asking her to be more responsible with her children and not make choices that hold the potential to bring hurt to them and into their lives.

After she pulled away, he thanked me for calling and said, "People have no idea how quickly harm can happen. What a stupid thing to do."

Don't get me wrong. I've had my share of flashing police car lights come up behind me.

Which is exactly my point.

Wanna be happy? Be wise.

And protect children.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I love it! That's awesome that you didn't just drive away like most people do. Way to stand up and I'm sooo happy it wasn't you getting in trouble ;)So what happened to the lady?

    ReplyDelete