Monday, March 1, 2010

Happy #24: Know a simple thing that gives you joy.


Recently my family and I experienced an event that has given us new appreciation for each other and fresh gratitude for the simple things in life.

This experience has also served to renew my understanding of the importance of having one or two simple things that bring you joy without requiring too much energy to pursue. Something that fills you for a reason you may not even know. And something that never fails to put you at rest and make you feel better. Regardless of what is going on.

For me one of these precious simplicities is tea towels.

Tea towels hold a special sort of spell over me. I have no idea in this world what it is. But I've loved them since I was a little girl. I love the patterns and the colors in the fabric. I love holding them in my hands and using them. I love washing them, pulling them warm from the dryer, folding them, and layering them in a stack. The whole process gives me pure joy. Ridiculous perhaps, but true. And it's such a simple thing.

I suppose this Happy idea goes along with Happy #5: You have to know what brings you up.

In any event, I think it's important to have something simple in your life that makes you feel better. Something easy and accessible. And something that takes very little energy to give yourself when you need it.

I'd be interested to hear what yours is. Does anybody read this?? ;-)

7 comments:

  1. Simple things that make me feel better -

    - This blog
    - Random text from a friend
    - Telling someone I love them
    - Finding just the right song on my iPod for the moment and my mood
    - Thinking about favorite moments from favorite movies and laughing without regard for what people think of me.
    - Giving random compliments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog postings Kathleen! They certainly brighten my day.

    ...now I need to go buy some tea towels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mark! You make me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable how we are like two peas in a pod! I also have this thing about tea towels ever since I was little. Delightful with all the patterns and bright colors and even more delightful hearing you express it so eloquently.
    You have a magnificent gift with words to add to all the other unbelievable gifts you have!!!
    I love you my beloved cousin and I so thank you for creating this inspiring Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy I discovered your blog today (you had me scared at the beginning--did you have a heart attack or something?) Anyway, my simple thing that keeps me happy is locking myself in the bathroom to get away from the kids and reading a book while in there (not doing what they think I'm doing!) Knock on the door? I just yell, "I'm not done yet!" and they (sometimes) go away for another 5 minutes. Just finished "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas". Excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen you pulling those tea towels from your dryer and folding them! Always with your trademark huge smile on your face. I always feel joy when I am around you or in your home, or talking to you on the phone. In the last 5 years or so, I have added some new simple things that make me happy: Scented candles, gourmet hot chocolate right before bed, weekend movies with my sister, and driving around with my kids, listening to music.

    ReplyDelete