Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy #41: Speak Good. And follow with dessert.


“I would rather be poor in a cottage full of books than a king without the desire to read.”
Thomas Babington Macaulay, English Historian, 1800-1859

Not me. I would rather be wealthy, have several cottages full of books, and a dinner date with the King. Then we could have a conversation about the benefits of reading and education. Following dinner I'd like an array of exceptionally delicious and expensive desserts.

But speaking of conversation (and not the array of treats after dinner with the King), there is a LOT of political dialogue going on over the Health Care Reform Act. Very little of what I've managed to hear has been good. Which disturbs me.

I have several strong opinions. As always. But I'll spare you.

I only want to say one thing.

When the Civil Rights Act was passed (as well as the Welfare Act, the Unemployment Insurance Act, and others), lawsuits were filed. The same lawsuit, in fact, that has been filed against the Health Care Reform Act. And likely by the same sorts of people.

We resist change, even when that change means protecting other human beings. Often these events bring out the worst in people. Which is both sad and unbelievable to me.

That being said, in the upheaval that seems to be stirring, speak Good.

Assume the best. Because almost without exception (even if it's not what you would do or choose), people are doing the best they know how to do.

I can't change anything that's happening. Or enlighten anyone really.

But I hope for the best. And I can try to bring happiness to the people around me. I can think something positive, engage with and have a good laugh with my kids, eat a spectacular dessert, be kind, give love, serve someone (Mark, we bake your chocolate cake tomorrow), and above all? I can speak Good.

We can all speak Good. And follow with dessert. ;)

Not solutions to the problem, I understand. But then this blog isn't about solving world problems. Now is it?

Maybe somehow my small effort to make myself happy regardless will make the world a happier place.

And maybe in the process it will make you happier too. (Especially if you come over for dinner and I make you these spectacular dessert cups we made for my birthday last year.)

By small and simple things...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kathleen. You're canadian, so naturally you love socialized health care. I love socialized chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete