Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Happy #40: Take a nap.


Earlier this morning Kelsie commented on our cat Sophie always finding a spot to nap in the sun. "What is that?" she asked. "I don't know," I responded. "But if I could lay on that little bench and take a nap in the sun, I would."

Naturally, it got me thinking about naps.

Needless to say, at the end of the work day today when I found the sun streaming in through my bedroom window and casting it's warm golden rays on my bed, I could not help but think about that morning conversation...

Giving in to my fatigue, I layed down and dozed off because I was simply too tired to stay awake.

I only slept for 60 minutes, but when I woke up I was thoroughly refreshed.

Reaching for my laptop, I found the Google search bar and entered "napping". With one click I found this article in the Boston Globe.

It's worth a glance just for the laugh.

But it's also worth a glance for the information it provides. And the validation it gives to napping.

"A nap of 60 minutes improves alertness for up to 10 hours...A Harvard study showed that a 45 minute nap improves learning and memory...Napping reduces stress and lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke, diabetes and excessive weight gain. Naps make you smarter, healthier, and safer."

The sun is still streaming in through my window, I haven't missed a thing, AND I'm rested. Truthfully, I can't think of a better way to go through the remainder of the day. See? I'm so rested I'm rhyming. :)

So. Find a soft spot in the warm sunshine. And take a nap.

Because we could all use a little more rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment