Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy #1: We need each other.

I began gathering the idea for this blog about a week ago. I thought it could be a fun adventure to talk about happiness. Nothing new here, I understand. Bookstores could be filled with what's been written about happiness over time. It's something everyone wants.

And before today I intended this beginning to be a glowing synopsis, a sparkling cursory review layered with witty, charming, and engaging remarks intended to hook you and keep you reading.

Because while my life has been as much the toss of uncertainty as yours (and peppered with the hardship we all endure), I've been blessed to learn a little bit about being happy, regardless. And I wanted to share what I've learned with you. Because we do, afterall, want the same basic things. Don't we? Love. Food. Water. Happiness. Belonging.

Anyway, as I said, that was before today.

But today, I was given a gift. A reminder that we need each other. And a very powerful experience that demonstrated for me we can make a real, true difference in each other's lives. In the moments that count. In the moments when there is real, true, absolute need. Because we can't always get happy on our own. Sometimes we just can't. No matter how hard we try.

So to begin this blog, I will begin with this: We need each other. I think it's the most important happiness detail of all.

And I have renewed gratitude for the blessing we are to each other. (I also have tremendous gratitude for my beautiful daughters and their creative skills. Thank you Kelsie for the perfect graphics. And thank you Juliet for the perfect music.)

I have no idea where we're going from here.

That's the adventure part. :)

But I hope you'll keep reading.

Here's to you.

3 comments:

  1. We do need each other and I'm so happy we have each other simple as that! You better believe I'll keep reading... If I could bet on you in Vegas to make us happy, we'd all be millionaires by now ;) that is if we even gambled haha. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I addressed this a little in the talk I gave on Sunday. I talked about avoiding gossip, judging other people and participating in other things that isolate. It can be very easy to begin to think we're very righteous and look down others, isolating them in the very time they may need us most. You're absolutely right...we do need each other. Unity...that's where the happiness is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do need each other. Of all the places I've gone wrong, and with all the reflecting I've been able to muster, I have still long remained blind to just how much I need to not be alone. Somewhere along the line I lost whatever gift I had for friendship. Getting it back, though.

    I really admire you, Kathleen. The more I hear, the more impressed I am. Look forward to getting to know you better, yet.

    ReplyDelete