Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy #17: Speak up.


I had several conversations yesterday that drove this one home for me.

Some of those conversations were with people who need to speak up. Some of those conversations were with people I need to speak up to. Seeing a theme, I decided to write about it.

I thought you might enjoy a draft of what I'd like to say in speaking up. Of course, some of this I wouldn't say in this way. You can say anything you need to, but the things we say need to be offered with kindness and care. I feel strongly about this.

However, for venting and processing purposes, here goes.

Dear Mr. Naysayer with your negative, doubtful thinking:

I know you think you're pointing out things I haven't thought of. And I'm sure you think you're enlightening me on this current economic condition, this "down market", this "vulnerable economy", and this "unprecedented poor development/funding situation", etc.

Clearly stated, I'm fairly certain that because I'm beautiful you think I'm not capable of any intelligent thought whatsoever.

But I am capable. Exceptionally capable. And you haven't pointed out anything I haven't already thought of. (In fact there is only one person who (on a consistent basis over time) has been able to suggest things I haven't already thought of. But you're not him. Don't feel bad though. He's brilliant.)

Anyway. Look. All I'm saying is that I'm sure you think you're offering something I need to hear. But you're not. You're saying the same things the whole world is saying. And truthfully? You're just showing me your limited thinking. And your negative, doubting, disbelieving mind does not help me. (It doesn't help you either, btw, but that's another conversation.)

Because here's the thing. You don't know me. And you don't know what I can do. I once built a million dollar home on a piece of property that everyone said was unbuildable. Everyone. Sure, it took a boatload of rebar, concrete, and a semi chained to the pump truck to keep it from sliding down the hill while the foundation was going in. But I did that.

I figured that out. I thought that through and found a way to make that site work. And the home is solid. On a solid foundation. On solid ground. And it sits on a piece of land that NOBODY thought could be built on. With a majestic wide open view of the mountains and the valley. It's beyond beautiful. (And I designed it. Of course.)

That's who I am. And that's what I do. I find a way. I figure it out. I make it work. And I make it work beautifully. (It's that intelligent thought thing I was mentioning earlier...) In summary, I get it done.

And how a person does one thing, they do everything.

While people who think like you are busy sitting around talking about why it won't work, people like me go out and do it. Because people like me just put their minds on something and once that happens, it's pretty much done. The rest is details.

Here's why: it's the thinking. It's belief.

See, God and me? We're a team. It goes like this:

1. He gives me something to do.
2. I do it.

I know in your mind what I'm trying to do can't be done in this "vulnerable economic market". But once God puts me on something, as impossible as it seems, that's it. It gets done. Because He doesn't set me up to fail. He makes the way for me to succeed. And that's all there is to it. (It happens a lot, fyi.)

So Mr. Naysayer, please keep your Doubting Thomas blah, blah, blah thinking and words to yourself. You just sit back (that's what people like you do), and watch.

I swim with the big fish. And they think like me. We get stuff done when everyone says there's no possible way.

Which makes it Ok that you're a doubter. Because every success story has had people like you saying it can't be done.

Makes the victory all the sweeter.

(Makes the books and the movies better too. Cha ching...)

Sincerely,

A finisher.

PS? Be careful with your words. They have power to create your world. And btw, don't bother saying, "I didn't think you could do it," after I've done it. I think we've already established you're an unbeliever. That's why I'm doing it and you're not. But do let me know when you're ready to learn how to believe in yourself and trust in God.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. This might speak volumes of how much I don't know you, but I didn't think you truly had a bad side one could get on. Interesting to see, and clearly a place I don't want to be. But I'm glad you're strong and capable. I love that about you.

    And I wanna know who this one impressive guy is that's been able to make you think of things you haven't already thought of. It sounds like someone I should know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't have a bad side. Just a direct side... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord, I beleive...

    Help thou my unbelief. eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love love LOVE this! You are so right that it's the do-nothings who are the first to complain about those of us who at least try. Thank you!! xox

    ReplyDelete