Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy #13: Get outside your comfort zone.


I haven't been on top of my game lately. (Health stuff, which is odd for me.) So I just don't have the energy to tend to some things. Like how I look.

Take today for instance. Kelsie and I enjoyed the unexpected surprise of being able to spend the day together. Mid-day she needed to run a few errands. But I was still in my pajamas. With my hair up. It was a mess. And I looked terrible. Seriously. Nobody should go into public looking like I did today. I mean it.

Anyway, I was not in my comfort zone. But Kelsie needed help getting things ready for Valentine's Day. And Keaton and Juliet needed their Valentine's presents.

After a stop at Banbury Cross (for donuts), was the chocolate shop. Kelsie needed chocolate frogs. And chocolate covered gummy bears. The good kind. As we browsed, standing beside us was a young man obviously paralyzed by too many choices.

We talked and I suggested the frogs. And the bears. Very delicious. Who doesn't like chocolate covered gummy bears, right??

"Am I missing anything?" he asked as we stood at the register a few minutes later. How sweet is that?

"Those chocolate covered strawberries and a balloon," I said, pointing up toward the myriad of sparkling heart shaped floaters over our heads. "That one," I said. And he asked the cashier to pull it down. (Very obedient. Lol.)

"She'll love it all," I said. "Or he will. Whichever."

"That's very open minded of you," he said smiling.

"Well," I said, "You never know."

"Thank you," he said. "I was totally lost."

He was out of his comfort zone, doing something to make someone happy. And I was TOTALLY out of mine. In the chocolate shop, looking like a train wreck.

But it didn't matter. Kelsie came away with everything she needed to feel good about being prepared for Valentine's Day. And I think he did too.

Kelsie and I came home and laid down for a nap. And instead of sleeping, we talked the whole time. About love. And chocolate covered berries. About her boyfriend (whom she absolutely adores), and her mission, and how fun it was to help the young man choose treats for his Valentine. And how wonderful it was to just spend the day together doing really nothing at all.

Get outside your comfort zone. Make someone happy.

And I guarantee you. If there's not someone under your roof who needs your help, there's someone at the chocolate shop who does!

Getting outside your comfort zone can produce remarkable memories.

And it gives you something to laugh about later. Kelsie's still laughing about how I looked... "Well, you didn't look your best," she said. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment