Thursday, February 4, 2010

Happy #4: Gratitude for the beautiful bumpy ride.

I flew into Long Beach, CA a few minutes ago. Or the pilot did anyway.

Out my airplane window was one of the most stunning sunsets I've ever seen. On the horizon were scalloped streams of orange and pink. Strips and spots of gold lit the western sky like a filigree pattern lantern. The ocean stretched out as far as the eye could see, shining like pantene organza under the setting rays of the sun. It was radiant. On the other side of the plane was the rest of the ocean. It was flat, matte gray, and quiet.

And just for a little twist in the mix, along with this contrasting visual beauty was a VERY bumpy ride. Very, very bumpy.

John Mayer tried to soothe me with his easy voice. Singing in my ear while strumming his guitar (accompanied by the violin), he was as comforting as he could be. He sang, "I'll wait on the porch until you come back home alright...And I check the weather wherever you are 'cause I wanna know if you can see the stars tonight."

The plane was rocking like a hammock in a hurricane.

There's something nerve racking about being 37,000 feet in the air with nothing below but a wide open sea while an airplane bounces all over the sky.

In these moments I thought about my children and the people I love. I thought about a friend and the heartache she is enduring today. Having recently experienced the miracle of a friend's prayers in my behalf, I prayed for her--that she would be given peace and comfort. (I love you M.)

I thought about life and the mixed bag that it is. Quickly finishing my cranberry juice before it landed in my lap, I looked out into the sunset sky. And missing the shoulder of a friend, I took a deep breath and surrendered. Then quietly I prayed, "Thank you God for this beautiful bumpy ride."

You know, it's all in there together. Isn't it? Everything. The light and the dark, the joy and the pain, the faith and the fear.

Life. The beautiful bumpy ride.

That being said, it's really good to be on the ground. Even at the LGB. Especially at the LGB. :D

1 comment:

  1. keep it coming, I am loving your words of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete