Thursday, February 11, 2010

Happy #11: Make an adventure.


Periodically life will toss an adventure your way. An unexpected surprise to mix things up a bit for your entertainment. Like ending up on the same flight with one of your favorite people on the planet. (You know who you are.) That's just fun. Plane fun. Lol. :D

The rest of the time you've got to make your own adventure. And this can be, well, rather sporting. Especially since what you get isn't always what you planned.

Take this morning for example.

I decided to go for a walk in "bad" weather. We got a bit of snow last night and this morning it was still falling. Loving snow, I bundled up, put Tonto on his leash, and headed off. And I was delighted by both what I heard and what I saw: the train gliding through a slushy street, birds chirping in freshly flocked trees, children on school playgrounds, and the most charming little church steeple I've seen in a long time. Maybe ever.

Lovely little adventure right? I thought so.

Until I got home and discovered I had locked myself out of the house... Scaling the brick wall at the back (in my coat, boots, and Red Sox cap), I climbed in through a window. The unexpected surprise. The real adventure.

Tonight my friend Mark stopped by for a visit. (Very great to see you Mark! Very.) The picture on this post is the photo he is using for the screen saver on his phone. It was taken during a holiday party at my home. (Always an adventure.) How perfectly enjoyable to discover Mark's use of the picture. And to laugh about it. Such an unexpected surprise.

So here's the thing. Make an adventure. Walk in bad weather. Climb a brick wall. Or a rock wall. Take a ride in the snow. Or on the snow. Watch the snow sparkle in the sunlight. Or the moonlight. Eat something you’ve never eaten before. Or MAKE something to eat you've never eaten before. Spend time with friends. Laugh. Have a party. Make something for your friends to eat that they've never eaten before! ;D

You can wait for an adventure. Or you can make one. Either way, the unexpected surprises before, during, and after the process are wonderful.

And an unexpected surprise is always a welcome reminder that it's good to be alive. Together.

Perogies anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment