Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy #6: Take a ride in the boat with Jesus.


Fabulous photo, isn't it? Why, thank you. :D I didn't even crop it. Can you believe it? (Thank you Jesus for giving me such beautiful things to take pictures of. Wow. And for my wide open eyeballs. And my camera...) Lol.

You know where I'm going with this, right? A thankful heart is essential for happiness. Absolutely essential. And there's always something to be grateful for. Regardless. :)

My father died tragically 33 years ago today. He was 48. I was 15. (I'm as old now as he was when he died. It's an odd feeling.) It seems like several lifetimes ago. He loved me and consistently told me I could do anything I set my mind to. Anything. And I grew up believing it. (Which is hilarious considering what my life looked like as a child...) My father gave me confidence.

While he hasn't been here to watch his work bear fruit, his influence has stretched the span of my lifetime. So I'm thankful for him today. Given that he's not here and hasn't been for quite sometime. I wish I could have understood the magnitude of the gift he was giving me while he was still alive for me to express my gratitude.

The other thing I'm grateful for today is my awareness of our Savior's ability to deliver us from suffering. I'm including something in this post which I wrote several years ago. I think it's relevant to this happy regardless adventure we're having together.

November 2003
"One morning my friend Maureen was in town visiting and we were talking about the vicissitudes of life. We shared our thoughts with each other about difficulty and loneliness and trying to maintain hope, peace, and happiness in such times. We talked about her life and we talked about mine.

As we sat quietly for a few moments the image of a little wooden boat on a huge sea came to my mind. I saw this little boat ride the sea through a variety of weather. There was calm, smooth water when the sun was bright with light and warmth as it danced on the sea and the little boat coasted with ease. There were choppy waters when the little boat rocked and creaked and dipped in and out of the white capped ocean. And there were stormy waters when the wind and the waves tossed the boat about on a troubled sea.

While I was in the middle of this thought, Maureen said, "So what are you going to do?" I thought for a moment about the images that had been in my mind and in a southern accent I replied, "I'm going to ride in the boat with Jesus."

And I've been riding in His boat ever since. :)

I believe in our Savior's power and ability to ease our burdens, make them light, and give us peace regardless of the waters we are riding. I believe He relieves us of and delivers us from our suffering.

Fresh in my heart and mind is the belief that we can lift and strengthen each other by Him through the power of prayer.

I am grateful for experiences in life that give me greater understanding of how deeply we need each other and what a significant blessing we can be for one another.

And Dad, I am thankful for you. Thank you for thinking I could do anything and telling me so.
I felt your love for me. I still do.
With love as always,
Pink
xo

There. Now it's your turn to find something to be grateful for. Opposable thumbs. Due process. Sunshine. Surprise yourself...

2 comments:

  1. Is Pink what your father called you?

    I'm definitely counting on Christ to lift me from my suffering lately. Nothing has been very bad, but nothing has been very good, either. I need to be better about turning to Him for aid. He's a much better yoke-bearer than the friends I usually turn to.

    Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Austin. My dad called me Pinky (Pink for short) from the day I was born until the day he died.

    And yes, do turn to Christ. He is the source of peace. :)

    ReplyDelete