Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy #16: Chicken Soup & Learning to show love.


Chicken Soup for the soul. Cliche for a reason.

To one large pot of boiling water add the following:
Chicken pieces, skinned with the bone in.
Chopped carrots, onion, and garlic.
1/2 bunch Cilantro
1 bay leaf
A pinch and a hand toss of cumin, chili powder, and Carne Asada seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste.

Sorry I can't give you measurements. But this is how we cook...
Simmer for several hours. With the lid on. The soup will feed your body. The aroma will feed your soul.

Kelsie made me chicken soup tonight. She stood at the kitchen counter peeling and chopping, putting everything together as if she'd done it a thousand times.

"It must be so satisfying for you to watch me do this," She said. "I know exactly what to do. I even knew what to get at the grocery store. I didn't have to think about any of it. I watched you do it so many times growing up, I just knew what to do."

"Children learn what they live," I said.

So here's my happy regardless for today:

What we live and learning to show love are related. You know what I'm talking about. You know, "...teach them to love one another and to serve one another." Mosiah 4:15

So make some good, old-fashioned chicken soup. There's something special about chicken soup. The smell in the house is incredible. (And the flavor in this soup was outstanding!) But there's more to it.

I felt loved and cared for eating that soup. Because Kelsie made it. Because she knew how to make it. Because it was warm and delicious. Because after years and years of making it for my children, there she was in the kitchen making it for me when I needed it.

And for all of these reasons it said, "I love you Mama."

Jackson was over earlier today and spent HOURS helping Keaton clean out his turtle's tank. This also said I love you.

These are good examples of the actions that help us to be happy regardless. Time with family and friends. Experiences of loving kindness that show us we are cared for and listened to.

Find a way to show someone you've been listening.

Live your love.

Jackson and Kelsie, thank you. I love you. :-)

1 comment:

  1. ...Remember that night you made me a BIG chocolate cake and yummy tortilla chicken soup?Thanx for the love, I needed it greatly!

    ReplyDelete